Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Lessons from House Hunting

Guys. House hunting is not very fun. I’m just gonna throw that out there. It is a bucket of stress.

I did have an interesting experience I’d like to share, though. We had been looking for a little while, and even had put an offer in on a townhouse that didn’t get accepted. I was feeling pretty down and discouraged about everything. We went out on a Saturday to look at I’m pretty sure a gajillion houses, and the last house on our list was kind of far from the Hubby’s work, but it looked promising. We looked around, and it had literally everything we were looking for and more (it had FIVE bedrooms, AND a bay window, AND it was well below our approved limit, but wasn’t gross surprisingly). It was on what seemed like a pretty quiet street with a fantastic view of the mountains. The only thing I didn’t like was the commute to see family or for Jeff to work. But I grew up in the middle of nowhere, and would consider myself a small town type of girl, so it seemed fitting. But I just couldn’t commit to it. I just felt wrong, and I thought maybe I was scared or something, and it would pass, and we would put an offer in for that one. But the feeling didn’t go away, and both my mom and my real estate agent wisely advised me not to ignore that feeling. So, feeling even more discouraged, I went back to combing the real estate site. After a few days of this, I was texting one of our agents and telling her that I thought maybe we needed a break from looking, because we were both feeling down about the whole process. But I decided to check one more time on the site, and a new listing popped up in an area really close to our apartment. I sent it to our agent and asked if we could look at it ASAP. We looked at it that night, and without even having to discuss it, as soon as we left the house, Jeff and I both turned to our agents and said, “Yep! Let’s make an offer on this one!” We did the next day, and our offer was accepted just about 24 hours after the listing had originally popped up on my phone.
Honestly, that house was more expensive, and had less rooms and square feet. But it just felt right, you know? The second I stepped through the door, I was met with a peaceful feeling.
It’s something that I think God has been trying to get through my head. Sometimes the logical choice is not the best choice, or the choice that will make us most happy. It was not logical for me to approach my ex-boyfriend out of the blue, whose car I had desecrated with glitter because I was upset one night after our breakup, and tell him that not only should we get back together, but that I wanted to marry him. Yet, I felt like even though it was completely crazy, it was the right thing to do. And it absolutely was, because now we’re happily married with two kids and just bought our first house.

No comments:

Post a Comment